When I was in the 5th grade, my dad my a poor parenting decision.
He took me to see the movie The Exorcist. He remembered seeing it when he was young, and when the movie was rereleased he thought it would be a fun, scary movie to see together.
That movie has scarred me for life. FOR LIFE!!!
To this day, I am still terrified... I do not want to elaborate any further. Just by posting this I am probably making myself vulnerable.
But, for months after seeing this movie (ahem... years), I obviously had nightmares. That was not the worst of it. I was so haunted by the movie that any type of darkness frightened me... including closing my eyes.
I was terrified of showering, because I thought that in the moments I would close my eyes (to prevent the water/soap from getting in) the devil would come and get me in the darkness.
...the other day, just like any normal day, I was taking a shower. My eyes were closed, I was putting my head under the water, and when I turned around and opened my eyes, an evil creature came crawling out of the drain.
I screamed sooo loud, my head of house could hear me outside of the building. This centipede was 6 inches long! It was bright, poisonous red, had an armored body, scorpion like pincers, and don't even think those are 100 weak little legs, they are 100 vicious claws.
I trapped it under a water bottle and then cut off its head in attempt to kill it. The head ran one way, the body ran the other way. This thing would not die. I scooped it up in the water bottle and ran outside of residence screaming, "Help me." Luckily, my trainer was there to save the day and he pulverized this nasty creature.
I have been transported back to the days when I am afraid to close my eyes in the shower because I am afraid what might come to get me in that moment of darkness.
And then I saw this beautiful, but clearly poisonous spider on my run. There will be no outdoor camping for me.

No comments:
Post a Comment